The third largest energy user in a home is the refrigerator/freezer. Some tips to cut down on costs:
- Avoid using multiple refrigerators or freezers. An extra refrigerator that is hardly used can cost up to $100 a year.
- Keep your freezer full. Food catches and stores cold air, reducing the workload of your freezer.
- Reduce the amount of escaping cold air by opening the door once to get all your items.
- Have your gasket checked once a year for any damage, air can escape thus making your fridge run more...
Buying a new, energy-efficient refrigerator can save a lot of energy and money. When shopping for a new one:
- Select the right size. Larger refrigerators may cost more to run.
- Compare features and energy use. Side-by-side models use more energy than top and bottom models.
- Compare operating costs using the EnergyGuide label.